See the world from a different perspective

What are the hardest and easiest languages to learn?

By on April 17, 2013 in Language Learning with 7 Comments

This post is also available in: Portuguese (Brazil)

Learning a foreign language is a relatively difficult task, however, some languages are much harder to learn than others. For this reason, if you are an English speaker and your goal is to learn a new language fast, you should pick languages such as Spanish or Italian. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a real challenge, choose languages such as Arabic or Chinese.

The infographic below shows the difficulty levels of a variety of languages based on the number of hours required for an English speaker to achieve reading and speaking proficiency. German (which is not on the list) would be placed between easy and medium, requiring about 750 class hours.

Via: Voxy Blog

Keep in mind that this is just an estimate, and that the ability to learn a new language varies greatly from person to person. Personal factors, such as motivation and the amount of exposure to the language, significantly affect the process of language acquisition. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I believe that studying abroad is perhaps the most effective way to learn a new language. Do you agree?

Tags: ,

About the Author

About the Author: Juliana Selem é globalista por formação (UCLA) e viajante por opção. Brasileira, casada com um argentino, ela vive nos Estados Unidos há 6 anos. Já morou em 5 países e ama se inserir em diferentes culturas até se sentir como uma residente local. Para saber mais sobre a Juliana, clique aqui. Conecte-se com ela no Twitter, G+, Instagram ou Facebook. .

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

There Are 7 Brilliant Comments

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Mohit says:

I want to lern foriean language ‘ what about french language? ‘it is easy or tough..

2. Rohit says:

Hi, everyone can you guide me, which languages are easy and which hard to learn..Plz reply

3. Rohit says:

Hi, everyone can you guide me, which languages are easy and which hard to learn..Plz suggest

4. diksha says:

i want to learn german language but i think its difficult to lear and speak please advice me which language is easy to speak german or spanis

5. Eterne says:

I’m surprised Japanese is listed as one of the hardest. The grammar is incredibly simple, as well as there being no plurals, no gendered words, minimal tense; it’s all context. Two of the three writing systems are incredibly easy; I was able to read Hiragana fully within a day. Literally the only thing making it complicated is kanji. Polish is way more difficult. I haven’t been able to even begin to grasp it.

On the other hand, maybe I’m just strange. I was absolutely useless at languages when I was in school; only now I’m finding them easier and easier grasp.

6. Earl says:

Tagalog(Phillipines) is a easy language too! Im a native english speak but I found speaking tagalog easy! Like komunikasyon (communication) transportasyon (transportation) telepono (telephone). And verbs are just easy as 1..2..3! Like maghuhugas=will wash naghuhugas=washing naghugas=washed. But I think it may take a long time for you to study it. Another! Philippines is once occupied by the Spanish so there are some similarities between Español and Tagalog! I hope this can help!

7. early424 says:

German is a bit easy. Im now in a german class. And slowly, im loving it! That language is so nice. Well Deutschland is a beautiful land, too. I